10 Bible Verses Every Small Business Owner Needs

MistyPathAs a Christian and a family focused entrepreneur, I believe that faith is a key ingredient in small business success.  In this current economy, the people of God must remember that if you honor God through your business he will direct your path.

Each year, I pick a bible verse as my theme for the New Year.  As I considered which bible verse would guide me in 2010, I thought it would be helpful to share some of my favorites. Use these bible verses in the good and tough times in your small business.

1. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) Learn something every day.  If you only lean on your own knowledge in your business, you will not be able to grow.  You must grow yourself to grow your business

2. “Behold, I am doing something new! It’s already happening; don’t you recognize it? I will clear a way in the desert. I will make rivers on dry land.”  Isaiah 43:19 (GOD’S WORD® Translation) Sometimes your business will need to move as the market pulls you in a different direction. You might need to reinvent your business, and you should not be afraid. God’s always got your back.

3.”Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philippians 4:6 (NIV) One of the most important things you can do for your business is to pray every day.

4. “Faith without works is dead.” James 2:26 (KJV) You can’t just pray for success. Develop a plan and work your plan. If you can do something about your situation, then do it. Stop making excuses, stop procrastinating, and do it!

5. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NIV) There will be contracts that you really need that you will not win. There will be days when you drop the ball on your customer service, but you can not let that define you or your business. You will get another opportunity and even if you don’t, God is with you always.

6. “As I think in my heart, so am I.” Proverbs 23:7 (NKJV) Your thoughts can be your number #1 asset or your biggest liability. When you are alone in your office or back bedroom, your thoughts can easily turn on you. Your ability to stay positive, learn from all experiences and shake off mistakes quickly will be a big asset to you and your business.

7. “God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of power, love and sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) Making decisions in your small business based on fear is never helpful. For that matter making decisions in anger is not good either. Try hard not to be reactionary with clients, vendors or employees. Use factual information and up-to date financials to make sound business decisions.

8. “But these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, do not despair, for these things will surely come to pass. Just be patient! They will not be overdue a single day.” Habakkuk 2:3 (TLB) You need to understand that God’s time is not your time. There may come a time in your business when you just know you have a contract, one that you really need and things fall through. Those are the times when you need to trust in the Lord the most. When we accept God’s timing, we can learn to live in hope and enjoy our lives while God is working on our problems.

9. “Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding;” Proverbs 3:13 (NIV) You need to be a life long learner in order to be successful in business.  You should constantly seek to improve yourself and increase your knowledge about the business of running a business.

10. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (NIV) This is my new bible verse for 2010. It came to me watching a college football game. I believe I was only watching the game to see it.

Remember, whether you are religious or not you can always pray about your business.

Special Shout out to Joyce Meyer Ministries for her book The Secret Power of Speaking God’s Word which gave me guidance for this post and to Pastor F.L. Anderson who gave me some biblical wisdom for this article. Read his blog http://www.FLAnderson.com.

Do you have a special bible verse that has helped you in your business? Please leave a comment and tell me about it.

WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE, E-NEWSLETTER OR WEB SITE? You may, as long as you include this complete blurb with it:

Melinda Emerson “SmallBizLady“, is a Veteran Entrepreneur, Small Business Expert and Social Media Coach who hosts #Smallbizchat on Twitter. #Smallbizchat is the trusted resource on Twitter to discuss everything entrepreneurs need to know about launching and running a profitable small business. Melinda’s first book, Become Your Own Boss in 12 months. A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business that Works will be released by Adams Media in March 2010.

For more tips on how to start or grow your small business visit http://succeedasyourowboss.com and subscribe to Melinda Emerson’s blog.

Comments

1. John Otocka says

Thanks, it is so hard and stressful spliting from my business partner to go out on my own. Your page was so easy to find it was like it was meant to be. Thank you and God bless!

• Sarah w says

I also went through a tough time splitting from business partners but trusting in God surely pulled me through. Making it on your own requires you to focus on making yourself better without the influence of others. Focus on God and the rest will pull through

2. Craig Mhlanga says

the 10 verses are powerful in a sense that they are God centred, lean not on your own understanding…trust in the lod….but these things i plan. Thank u Melinda. My business verse is Isaiah 45v3.

• Nkele says

Hi

Thanks Melinda. I have always used Prov 3:5-6 in other areas of my life but not my business. Thanks for that. My favourite business scriptures is Isaiah 45:1-3

3. says

These scriptures are powerful and give direction. Today’s Christian businesspersons must stay in the Word for a well rounded life. Each person needs to hear and read such material. Thank you.

4. Felix Chesigor says

The teaching of entrepreneurship from the Biblical point of view is an approach that no one will ever gainsay. In fact beginning with my undergraduate research project, which I am doing now, to all future researches, this will be my area of interest. It is interesting, I tell you. Thanks alot, and God bless you abundantly.

5. Mateyu Khoza says

All i can say is to thank the Holy Spirit..this is all what we need..What God wants isn’t the money etc but All He wants is the Word, master the ward, you’ve got all the treasures.Our job is to Yes and Amen..

6. says

My favorite Bible Scripture is Philippians 4:13 “I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthen Me”. I’m in the early stages of developing my business by moving the business out of my home. I have my eye on a building I drove on the parking lot and began to pray asking God’s favor over this particular building. Faith is the substance of those things hope for and that evidence of those things not seen. I know I can do all things through Christ who gives me the strength, knowledge, wisdom to do all things in God’s eyes in running a successful business. God has given me the gift in working with children. About four years ago, I open a small daycare called Vision Childcare Learning Facility. I prayed for the name and the Holy spirit spoke to my heart and said, you already have the name. “VISION” Within my business I asked God for endurance and patience in running my daycare business. I started by asking Christ to let my light shine were my parents and children could see the spirit of Christ within me.
    I asked Him to strengthen my walk and talk in making wise decision to become a patience daycare provider. We can do all things in God’s eye sight in our service to others and by asking for that wisdom, knowledge and the understanding of those things we have no control over within my business. I can to all things through Christ that gives me that peace of being a peach maker in times of mis-understanding and conflicts within the business. But the most important of them all, I can do all things through prayer by asking God to give me strength during times of disagreements in making wise business decision. ( This is my favorite Bible Scripture). Brenda Collins, Director / Owner of Vision Childcare Learning Facility.

7. Kate says

Desire without knowledge is not good, and whoever makes haste with his feet misses his way

I find proverbs 19:2 really helpful moments when an idea strikes and seems a good venture or a person with what may seem a brilliant idea approaches me for a partnership deal . I get convicted to step back and take this advice from God

Trackbacks

1. […] My personal mission is to end small business failure.  In 2013, my brand reached more than 3 million entrepreneurs each week online. I write a regular column on small business and social media for the New York Times, my dream job. I also run the longest running twitter chat for small business owners on twitter #SmallBizChat every Wednesday 8-9pm ET.  In 2012, I started the Melinda F. Emerson Foundation to support small business success. I am a member of the World Entrepreneurship Forum. I have the opportunity to bless people all over the world with information to help them grow profitable and sustainable small businesses.  In fact, the most popular blog post I have ever written is 10 Bible Verses Every Small Business Owner Needs. […]