Each year, I pick a bible verse as my theme for the year. This year I did not choose a verse, but a saying that a coaching client shared with me. “Either I win or I learn, but with God’s help I never lose”. I loved that, and I was so touched by what this entrepreneur shared with me, that I felt like that was the message for me this year. But I still wanted to share the verses I was considering. There are so many powerful verses to read in the bible. Here’s a list of 11 favorites that I use for encouragement. I hope that you will print this post and share it with others, so that they might be helped along the spiritual journey we call entrepreneurship.
1. No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9 One of my favorite business heroes Oprah Winfrey often says God can dream it bigger for you than you can dream it for yourself. There will be times in your life and in your business when the people around you will not understand the vision God had given you for your business. Read this Bible verse and be steadfast in your entrepreneurial journey.
2. Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3 If everything in your business is done to glorify God, he will Bless your work.
3. The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty. Proverbs 21:5 A good idea is still a good idea three weeks from now. There are no “get rich quick” schemes. Do not be in a hurry for anything. Learn all you can. Be focused and diligent and your business will succeed.4. I will find the Lord when I seek him with all my heart and with all my soul. Deuteronomy 4:29 The best thing you can do for your business is pray daily with an open heart. God speaks to us through vision and dreams. Be open to what God wants you to learn.
5. The Blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it. Proverbs 10:22 God is not about mess, he is a God of abundance. If you follow him he will give you what you need to make this business or your next business a big success.
6. Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? I fix my eyes on God and soon I’ll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He’s my God. Psalm 42:5 My father used to say we wouldn’t know God’s day if it weren’t for bad days, so thank God for the bad days too. Trouble, stress, and sorrow are all just temporary. Always remember who you are and whose you are and everything will be just fine.
7. I fear not, for God is with me; I am not dismayed; for He is my God. He will strengthen me, yes, He will help me, He will uphold me with His righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 One of the biggest things that entrepreneurs struggle with is fear and lack of self confidence. When you feel yourself starting to doubt yourself, read this Bible verse and then move forward and be fearless. Make that call or go to that meeting and just sparkle.
8. By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but Him who sent me. John 5:30 It’s never about you. It’s about the team around you and your customers.
9. I seriously consider what I am doing before taking on new projects. I expand prudently and I do not court neglect of present duties by assuming too many new ones. Proverbs 31:16 Be a project finisher. Do not be one of these business owners that run from thing to thing with more than one brand message. Make it clear what business you are in by focusing on one niche customer.
10. Pride lands me flat on my face, but humility prepares me for honor. Proverbs 29:23 Do not let your pride keep you from learning a lesson. Be humble and realize that you can learn something from anyone, even the interns.
11. I live by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7 You are only one idea away fr0m living your dreams, but if you do not believe in your business no one else will. Let your faith guide you.
This post was inspired in part by the work of the Lord in my life and by Joyce Meyer’s book, The Secret Power of Speaking God’s Word.
Is there a Bible verse that inspires you in your business? Please share.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE, E-NEWSLETTER OR WEB SITE? You may, as long as you include this complete blurb with it:
Melinda F. Emerson, known to many as SmallBizLady is one of America’s leading small business experts. As a seasoned entrepreneur, professional speaker, and small business coach, she develops audio, video and written content to fulfill her mission to end small business failure. As CEO of MFE Consulting LLC, Melinda educates entrepreneurs and Fortune 500 companies on subjects including small business start-up, business development and social media marketing. Forbes Magazine recently named her one of the Top 20 Women for Entrepreneurs to Follow on Twitter. She hosts #SmallBizChat Wednesdays on Twitter 8-9pm ET for emerging entrepreneurs, and publishes a resource blog at: www.succeedasyourownboss.com. Melinda is also the author of the national bestseller Become Your Own Boss in 12 months: A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business That Works. (Adams Media 2010)