12 Bible Verses Every Small Business Owner Needs For 2012

I normally do this post at the top of the year, but I was inspired to wait until now.  With Easter upon us, I though this post would be particularly meaningful at this time of year.   My religious theme for 2012 is, “Either I win or I learn, but with God’s help I never lose.”

I pray that you are inspired by God’s word.  Your faith in yourself and your business are key to your long-term success. Starting a small business is a spiritual journey. You should pick a verse that will inspire you. I thought it would be helpful to share some of my favorites. Use these bible verses in the good and tough times in your small business.

1. Deuteronomy 8:18 NIV But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.  All of our skills and special talents that we use in our businesses are all given to us by God.  He gives us the ability to make money and cut deals.  He did it for our parents and mentors and he does it for us too.
  2. Romans 12:2 NIV Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.  The bible commands us to be innovative in our businesses. We should not ever try to be like anyone else. The world is still waiting on a better mousetrap, and we should never rest on our successes. We must renew ourselves by being lifelong learners and reading constantly.
  3. I Thessalonians 5:16-19 NIV Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances; this is the will of God for your life.  It is important to have a prayerful life as an entrepreneur; it will help you on those days when things do not go your way.  You need to have the strength to thank God, even when you do not win that big contract. God protects us when we do not get opportunities that we think we can’t survive without. Always be grateful.
  4. Proverbs 16:18 NIV Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.  Many entrepreneurs struggle with pride. Do not be afraid to tell clients or employees that you do not know the answer. Try to diffuse any issues with truth and by taking full responsibility for fixing the problem.  Never let your ego get in the way of doing what’s in the best interest of your business.
  5. II Corinthians 9:8 NIV And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. God always delivers to us what we need in order to do our best work.  Sometimes he sends a check we need just in time, and other times he sends us creativity to find the best solution to our challenges. Trust in the Lord at all times.
  6. II Timothy 1:7 NIV For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. Fear is the enemy of entrepreneurship. God wants us to go out with the power he gives us to pursue our ideas in business.
  7. Hebrews 12:11 NIV No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. You must be fiscally disciplined in business. You cannot put all your hard work at risk by not being focused on your big picture goals and your monthly sales goals. It is painful at times, but it will produce quite a harvest.
  8. I Corinthians 9:24 NIV Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Running a business is hard. It’s a marathon not a sprint. There will be plenty of stumbling blocks in your way. Everyone trips and falls while running this race, but winners get up faster than everyone else. You must do what you need to do to win your race.
  9. Mark 5:36 NIV Overhearing what they said, Jesus told them, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” There will be times when you are the only person who believes in your business dream. Don’t be afraid. Believe in yourself and your business idea.
  10. Ecclesiastes 11:4 AMP He who observes the wind [and waits for all conditions to be favorable] will not sow, and he who regards the clouds will not reap. You must be willing to make decisions in your small business. No one is going to come along and do it for you.  Make hard decisions quickly, so you can move on to doing the work needed to help your customers.
  11. Proverbs 11:14 NIRV Without the guidance of good leaders a nation falls. But many good advisers can save it. It is critical to have a kitchen cabinet of advisors for your small business. Your business will not survive on your experience alone. Pull together four to five people who are invested in your success. The group should include an existing entrepreneur, a customer, a mentor, a lawyer and a accountant. Seek out a mastermind group or peer to peer mentoring program to help as well.
  12. Philippians 4:13 NKJV I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Whenever you struggle with your self-confidence read this bible verse to yourself.  There will be times in your business when you need to force yourself to stretch beyond what you think is possible. You can do it. I believe in you.

Do you have any other bible verses that inspire you? Please share.

For more tips on how start or grow your small business subscribe to Melinda Emerson’s blog http://www.succeedasyourownboss.com.

Melinda F. Emerson, known to many as SmallBizLady is one of America’s leading small business experts. As a seasoned entrepreneur, Melinda Emerson "SmallBizLady"professional speaker, and small business coach, she develops audio, video and written content to fulfill her mission to end small business failure. As CEO of Quintessence Multimedia, Melinda educates entrepreneurs and Fortune 500 companies on subjects including small business start-up, business development and social media marketing. Forbes Magazine named her #1 woman for entrepreneurs to follow on Twitter. She hosts #SmallBizChat Wednesdays on Twitter 8-9pm ET for emerging entrepreneurs. She also publishes a resource blog http://www.succeedasyourownboss.com Melinda is also bestseller author of Become Your Own Boss in 12 months; A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business That Works.

Comments

• Melinda Emerson says

Melissa—

Thank you so much for your comment. I give myself away so God can use me. I am so grateful that this post touched you.

In his service–
      Melinda F. Emerson

• says

Thank you so much . God led me here, I know it! With my renewed mind I just know after 5 years God is going to make me successful as long as I partner with Him!

• Melinda Emerson says

Kathi–

He led me to write it. God bless you and your business.

Best–
          Melinda F. Emerson

• Pam says

Thank you Melinda, this is awesome i pray that you will let God continually use you to share verses to give everybody strenght. God bless you and more power to you! To God be the Glory!

• Brenda Daniels says

Thanks – it is so nice to know someone who believes in God for strength and wisdom. I have receive wisdom and encouragement and I am so excited about my business. I can already see the hand of God on my life and business. Thanks for your article. God Bless you and I want to stay in contact with your website.

A pen in God’s hand
        Brenda Sanders-Daniels
        Thomasville, Georgia

• Sam says

Delight yourself also in the Lord,
      And He shall give you the desires of your heart. (Psalm 37:4)
      Make God an inspire in all you do. Keep him first always. Involve him in your business decisions…in due time, bless will rain on you.

• says

I agree with Monica -Jeremiah 29:11 I have right next to my computer. Such a powerful scripture that keeps our mind renewed to God’s nature and personal characteristics.

• Melinda Emerson says

Katie—

Thank you so much for sharing your favorite verses. Your faith is a key ingredient in your business success. I am so grateful that this post is so meaningful to you.

In his service–
        Melinda F. Emerson

• Melinda Emerson says

Monica–

Thank you so much for sharing your favorite verse. I love it, and will most likely use it in a future post like this. I am so grateful that this post speaks to you.

In his service–
      Melinda F. Emerson

• Melinda Emerson says

Sonya—

Thank you so much for sharing your comment. I am grateful this post is so meaningful to you.

In his service–
      Melinda F. Emerson

1. says

Melinda,

It is the awakening of what God has written in our soul that needs to pierce the onion “expectation” and other layers that others have placed on us that is the most important part of our life’s purpose. The second part is serving others with our talents and skills for His Purpose.

My family laughed at me announcing writing a book and have stifled me as I step forward, fortunately not all of the time. My comment to their attitude, “Get behind me Satan!” God’s purpose for our lives will not be wasted on myopic and selfish motives.

Go forth and do for His Glory!!

Thanks

Kevin

• Melinda Emerson says

Kevin—

Thy enemy shall be thy foot stool. Let em laugh, God’s got it all under control. I am so grateful that this post is so meaningful to you.

In his service–
      Melinda F. Emerson

2. says

I have Jer 29:11, 1 Cor 15:57, 2 Cor 2:14, Romans 8:38-39, Deut 30:16, Phil 4:19, Eph 1:3 Eph 3:11-12, and Titus 3:8,14 surrounding my desk / computer. I also have right in front of my eyes “Expect…harvest, favor, wealth and THE BLESSING.”

Hallelujah, we have the victory and run our businesses to glorify God!

• Melinda Emerson says

Kalisi—

Thank you so much for sharing this. I am so grateful that this post has touched you.

In his service–
      Melinda F. Emerson

3. says

I run my own business and also teach part time at a local christian university in their Bachelor of Commerce program. Yesterday I started class by sharing one of my favourite verses, Jeremiah 19:11-13 (NIV) “For I know the plan I have for you,” declares the Lord. “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”

This verse is my touchstone, my frequent reminder in the wonderful roller coaster of life that God is in control and wants the best for me.

• Melinda Emerson says

Joy—

Thank you so much for sharing your favorite verse. I love it, and will use it in a future post like this. I am so grateful this this post is so meaningful to people.

In his service–
      Melinda F. Emerson

• Melinda Emerson says

Octavia–

Thank you for sharing these powerful words. God has already given us everything we need.

In his service,
      Melinda F. Emerson

• Melinda Emerson says

Tutu–

Thank you for your comment. I am so glad that this piece is helpful to you. I would love to come to Nigeria, all you have to do is invite me to speak and I will come. I will be in South Africa this summer in August, perhaps you can come to Durban or Capetown to see me there.

In his service,
      Melinda F. Emerson

• Melinda Emerson says

Ashley–

Thank you so much for your comment. I am so grateful that this words touched you.

In his service,
      Melinda F. Emerson

4. says

Psalm 37:5. “Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass”.

I know this to be true. With every difficult decision I have made (in my personal life and in business), everything that I thought I couldn’t do, I presented my plans to the Lord and every step of the way I have trusted that He would guide me, He would protect me and He would bring it to pass… and EVERY time, He has! Once you realize you are NOT alone in this, that you can do the possible and He will take care of the impossible… you feel that you can face anything :)

Jeremiah 29:11 is another very inspiring one.

5. says

Thank you Melinda, your Twelve Bible Verses post has encouraged and inspired me. Early this morning I asked the Lord to give me a sign, to show me that I am on the right track and that my starting this small business is His will for me, and now I have come across this post with these awesome verses! Thank you Melinda, and thank you Lord!!

My favorite verse is Psalm 127:1 Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it.

6. says

Melinda – Thank you so much for this! It is so true! I love your tweets but this is the first time I’ve ventured to your site and I’m glad I did. Thank you for helping the small business owners out there and for sharing the great information that you do.

7. lovechild says

I really love every single verse n every insite. A lot these verses are in my spirit on a daily bases. While having an entrepreneur spirit I have encountered the experience of pride coming before the fall n also wanting a desirable business venture that God didn’t see fit for me . I agree with the section on fear being the enemy of entrepreneurship . You have to have faith to run a business n fear is not an option . Thanks for the confirmation .

8. Tuka Eyo says

Melinda thank you so much for this great motivation and inspiration. I’m glad to come in contact with you. God bless you.

9. says

Thank you Melinda for those spiritual words of wisdom. We know true wisdom comes from God and I appreciate your ability to share your God given portion. Again, thanks for being a willing vessel. You’ve helped me regain my focus, in such an inspiring way. God bless you!

10. says

Hello Melinda,
    I just came across your article and I love it. Its a great reminder of Who we should keep first in business and the words to prove it. Thank you for the reminder!

A scripture I like is: Joshua 1:8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

Tamara
    Busy925.com

11. says

Dear Melinda,
    Thank you for these inspiring quotes. I would like to ask you for permission to use your 2012 religious quote: “Either I win or I learn, but with God’s help I never lose”. I am Executive Director of a Christian not for profit faith-based counseling center in NY. We are having our annual fundraiser in October 2012. I would like to use your quote with your name in our journal for the evening if it is okay with you. Please let me know. If you have any questions about our organization, you can visit our website or contact me personally through our website.
    Thank you.

12. Robin Williams says

So far you must have tried various methods to memorize Bible verses, but sometimes we are not able to remember it correctly. One of my friends gave me an excellent idea to memorize the Bible verses. He showed me his android phone to which he had downloaded an application which puts holy verses on your phone wallpaper. What is more amazing is that the verses keep on changing after some time. In today’s world everyone keeps their phone with themselves every time, so whenever you see your phone you see a verse. What could be more better way to memorize the verses other than this. The application can be downloaded from the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nbs.free.goodfriday to your android phone.
    You can send the verse as a message to your friend or post the verse to your friend’s facebook wall.
    What could be more better way to share the Word Of The Lord. God bless us all.

13. Otisitswe K. Lesotho says

This is really moving, it reaaly inspired me to always go foward with my small business and my plans. thanks a lot, you just made a huge change with those verses. May the Lord give you many more blessings.

14. says

One of the greatest things about leaning on Christ is guidence & understanding is He ALWAYS leads to exactly what you need. I have been struggling in business. Struggling to find my way, keep my head above the water in the race, & struggling with my direction. This was just what I needed to help place me in the direction I need to go. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts & feelings…and leadings.

15. says

I know this bible will help me in my daily activities. The one that I life is the one from Sirach.
    ” Do not wonder at the works of a sinner but trust in the Lord and go about your toil. for it is easy in the eyes of the Lord to enrich a poor man quickly and suddenly”.

Thanks and God bless!

16. Edith Aguilar says

Hi Melinda,

Thank you so much, truly inspiring! I clicked on bible verses on google to search on inspiring verses and here’s what I got, more than what i was searching for!

I will definitely get your book “Become your own Boss in 12 months” because I know I will learn so much from you especially that I am starting a new business which I am not so familiar with. it actually is a big change but with your 12th verse I know I can do it. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ”

Thank you and God Bless!

Dith

17. Elliott Keith says

Melinda I don’t think you know how much of a help you have been in my life. As I matriculate through my college experience here at Clark Atlanta University School of Business, their have been many guest speakers, big name people. None of them have helped me grow my entrepreneurship skills like you have. I recently chose to write about you for my lyceum. I would like you to read it.

18. says

Encouraged to read all the coments. Something I recently heard: “just because God calls you to do something, does not guarantee success.” I do believe God wants to bless His children, but in times of unfavorable results, don’t get mad at God for lack of success.

19. lara says

thanks for sharing these insightful scriptures, may the lord almighty continue to bless you as you continue in his work.

20. Ada says

Exodus 35:35. My absolute favourite.

I was looking for inspiration to start my interior design company and that just spoke to me

21. ROBIN says

Dear Malinda.
    I am going to save this and put it to practice.

May God bless you for the information you have given

Robin Wijewardene.
    Sri-lanka

22. Austin M says

Romans 8:18
    I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

Possibly the definition of how I approach how I deal with issues.

23. says

Thank you for this! I am hosting my company’s first holistic health conference for women. We are in the final week to secure guests and vendors.

I am a Believer in God’s Word so I have started fasting this week. We are believing God for a breakthrough in our numbers, we are trusting Him for 200 guests, and 30 vendors registered by 02/09/13! It may seem impossible to man, but we expect that God is going to get the glory. God is going to make a way out of noway

You insight blessed my soul! Thank you for letting God use you! It was nothing but God that I found you. Everything you said was right on time!

Again, thank you!

24. says

I love that you wrote about this. The last verse you have there is my favorite, but also Matthew 11:23 and 11:24

“Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”

25. says

Thanks Melinda!

This helps me alot. I am working on my photography profile but don’t know where and how to start. then I stumble into your article. Thank you for this encouragement and thanks for all the scriptures. I will use them.

I love this quote “Either I win or I learn, but with God’s help I never lose” can I ask for permission to use it on my documents to remind myself?

Thanks and God bless you more!

26. says

Hi!
    Thank you for sharing your bible verses! I am expanding my business this year! Very exited for my new journe! I know GOD has a plain for every one who trust on him I do I know his plan is good so I love all your verses but this is my favorite !!

Mark 5:36 NIV Overhearing what they said, Jesus told them, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” There will be times when you are the only person who believes in your business dream. Don’t be afraid. Believe in yourself and your business idea.

Thank you!!!!

27. Matt says

So blessed in this post, I hope to take it from the UK to Uganda as a message of hope and prosperity, thanks for listening to God on this one

Trackbacks

1. [...] Small Business Marketing tips and ideas blogProfitable Work From Home BusinessesDo You Have an Editorial CalendarStuart Atkins MBA – Small Business MarketingCreating Systems – A Good Web Marketing StrategySummer Financial Checklist For Small Business OwnersOutsourcing Provides an Edge for Small and Medium Enterprises12 Bible Verses Every Small Business Owner Needs For 2012 [...]