Misty Megia is a business strategist who has helped companies across various industries with marketing, corporate branding, and project management. She is also a performer, director, and choreographer in professional theater. Misty has earned many awards, including recognition as one of the Most Powerful Women in Accounting by CPA Practice Advisor and One to Watch on the Top 100 Influencers in Accounting 2020. As the CEO and Founder of Misty Megia LLC, she helps individuals with public speaking using her 20+ years of experience in corporate speaking and theater.
Today, Misty joins me to share some tips on developing a career in public speaking and what to do first if you want to use speaking as a promotional tool for your business. She explains why having a niche is essential in a professional speaking career and how to become a great speaker if you are an introvert. Misty provides tips on getting your first speaking gigs, what to charge, and when to create your demo reel. She also shares some insights on practicing before pitching yourself for a high-profile speaking event, working through fear of public speaking, and the programs she uses to help people develop their speaking skills.
“Anytime that you have an opportunity to speak, you’re building your muscle.” – Misty Megia
Listen to the podcast below:
This week on SmallBizChat Podcast:
- Misty’s varied career and how she uses her experience to help people with public speaking
- What to do first if you want to use speaking to promote your business
- Why having a niche is essential for developing a career as a professional speaker
- How to become a great speaker as an introvert
- How to get your first speaking gigs and what to charge
- The right time to develop your demo speaker reel
- The best ways to practice before pitching yourself for a high profile speaking event
- ToastMasters and other organizations that may be helpful
- How to work through your anxiety about public speaking
- The programs that Misty has for helping people develop their speaking skills
Connect with Misty Megia:
Want to hear more episodes of The SmallBiz Chat Podcast? Subscribe on your favorite platform so you never miss an episode!