Former Olympic-level athlete turned business multi-millionaire, David Finkel is an entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of the business coaching company, Maui Mastermind®. He has helped over 100,000 clients with buying, building, and selling business assets. David has written twelve business books, including his latest, The Freedom Formula: How to Succeed In Business Without Sacrificing Your Family, Health or Life, and is a Wall Street Journal and Business Week best-selling author. Publications including Fast Company, USAToday, Wall Street Journal, and Inc have featured David’s insights.
David joins me today to discuss how to maximize your time as a business owner and ensure that you stay focused and prioritize the most valuable items on your to-do list. He shares the concept of “controlitis” and ways to better manage the surplus of inputs flying at you every day. David highlights how to effectively work with a personal assistant and tools and processes to implement to streamline your process. He also explains why it’s important for entrepreneurs to intentionally set aside personal time for themselves as well as his thoughts on achieving work-life balance.
“We don’t get paid for hours. We don’t get paid for effort. We don’t get paid for attitude. We get paid for the results that we generate.” – David Finkel
Listen to the podcast below:
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
- How to move past overwhelm and work smarter rather than harder as a small business owner
- How most of us spend our workdays and whether it is effective
- What a “focus day” is and how to incorporate this concept into your professional routine
- What tends to hold people back in the time-effort economy and the importance of releasing control
- Three ways to leverage the power of a personal assistant, a key function of a personal assistant, and how to avoid micromanagement
- The importance of intentionally setting aside personal time for yourself
- Whether work-life balance is more achievable for men than women
- David’s favorite business app and how he utilizes it
Connect with David Finkel:
- Maui Mastermind®
- David Finkel on LinkedIn
- David Finkel on Twitter
- The Freedom Formula: How to Succeed In Business Without Sacrificing Your Family, Health or Life by David Finkel
- Build a Business, Not a Job: Grow Your Business & Get Your Life Back by David Finkel and Stephanie Harkness
Want to hear more episodes of The SmallBiz Chat Podcast? Subscribe on your favorite platform so you never miss an episode!