Pamela Slim is a small business coach, author, and speaker. In her early career, Pamela worked for Barclays Global Investors as the Director of Training and Development. She then went on to work as a consultant for companies such as Cisco Systems, Chevron, and HP to create training programs. In 2005, she shifted her focus to the startup business market and helped thousands of new businesses launch. In 2016, she started the K’é Main Street Learning Lab, a community-based think tank for local business acceleration. Pamela has written various business books, including Escape from Cubicle Nation and the recently published The Widest Net.
In today’s episode, Pamela provides insight on why small businesses find customer acquisition and retention challenging. She shares tips on clarifying your marketing message and identifying the customers you may not have realized are right in front of you. Pamela explains why identifying your business value is essential before targeting potential customers and why building a collaborative—not competitive—small business ecosystem is more effective for growing your business. Pamela also details how to focus on the best places for your marketing and get the attention of influencers for your business.
“If you want to connect with people who may have a bigger platform than you and more visibility, you need to make sure your body of work is excellent.” – Pamela Slim
Listen to the podcast below:
This week on SmallBizChat Podcast:
- Why growing a customer base and customer retention is a challenge for business owners
- How to clarify your business marketing message
- How business owners can find the customers that are right in front of them
- Why it’s essential to identify your values before targeting customers
- Why a collaborative ecosystem is an effective way of scaling your business
- How to determine the best places to focus your marketing efforts
- Lessons main streets can take from entrepreneurs for supporting small businesses
- How you can get the attention of top influencers
- Book: The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything by Guy Kawasaki
Connect with Pamela Slim:
- Pamela Slim’s Website
- Book: Escape From Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
- Book: Body of Work: Finding the Thread That Ties Your Story Together
- Book: The Widest Net: Unlock Untapped Markets and Discover New Customers Right in Front of You
- Pamela Slim on LinkedIn
- Pamela Slim on Facebook
- Pamela Slim on Twitter
Want to hear more episodes of The SmallBiz Chat Podcast? Subscribe on your favorite platform so you never miss an episode!