I had such overwhelming response to my recent radio interview with Shelley Lieber @wordywoman on my monthly Smallbizradio show on #BlogTalkRadio – that I had to turn it into a blog post so that more of you could reap the benefit of this valuable information. The intention of Smallbizradio is to create a place for entrepreneurs to learn about how to grow a successful small business. We feature top business experts to bring you helpful information to navigate the obstacles of building a growing business. Smallbizradio is recorded live every 4th Wed of the month at 1pm ET. To listen or join in with a question the number is (347) 843-4182 AND PRESS “1”
The featured guest for this show is Shelley Lieber, a publishing strategist and a leading authority on how to succeed in the new publishing environment. Shelley teaches authors how to attract readers by combining traditional strategies, social media and the power of community. She is the author of 4Ps to Publishing Success, and founder of VIP Authors and publisher of VIP Book Publishing. For more information: http://www.shelleyleiber.com
The top 4 points to take away:
1) It’s never too early to start promoting your book.
2) It’s very important to have an author platform prior to approaching an agent or publisher in order to give your book the best possible chance of getting a deal or represented.
3) It’s all about the editing and packaging – if you are going to self-publish. Do not rush to get your information out there. Spend time to make sure your book is the best it can be. Spend the money to have your materials edited for content as well as format and grammar. Covers can make or kill a book – make sure your cover is a winner and doesn’t scream that you self-published your book.
4) The real work is after the book comes out. You must understand that whether you self-publish or go the route of having a traditional publisher, you, the author will do all the work to get publicity for your book. Whatever your publisher does for you is a bonus–do not expect very much.
Click here for the full interview: http://tobtr.com/s/1153524
Some additional author resources I recommend:
- Publishing Confidential; How to get a non-fiction book deal by Author Paul B. Brown
- From Entrepreneur to Infopreneur by Stephanie Chandler
- Get Known Before the Book Deal by Christina Katz
- The Authors Guild http://www.authorsguild.org/
For more tips on starting or growing your small business subscribe to Melinda Emerson’s blog at www.succeedasyourownboss.com
Melinda F. Emerson, known to many as SmallBizLady is one of America’s leading small business experts. As a seasoned entrepreneur, professional speaker, and small business coach, she develops audio, video and written content to fulfill her mission to end small business failure. As CEO of MFE Consulting LLC, Melinda educates entrepreneurs and Fortune 500 companies on subjects including small business start-up, business development and social media marketing. She has been featured on NBC Nightly News, the Tavis Smiley Radio Show, in the Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur and Black Enterprise Magazine. She hosts #SmallBizChat weekly on Twitter for emerging entrepreneurs and publishes a resource blog www.succeedasyourownboss.com. Melinda is also the author of the national bestseller Become Your Own Boss in 12 months; A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business That Works. (Adams Media 2010)
Leave a Reply