Studies show that independent business owners attribute six of their ten most pressing problems in business problems to government, especially tax and regulatory policies. But only a small number of small business owners even try to fight back. Amy H. Handlin, Author of Be Your Own Lobbyist: How to Give Your Small Business Big Clout with State and Local Government says there are things business owners can do.
I wanted to share this interview from my recent conversation with Author, NJ Assemblywoman Amy Handlin on my monthly SmallBizRadio show on Blog Talk Radio. In addition to her 20-years of service in the New Jersey State House, Amy’s also a professor of marketing at Monmouth College. Her new book, Be Your Own Lobbyist is worth a read for any small business owner.
Here are my key takeaways:
- Build relationships with elected officials before you have a crisis.
- Never be intimidated by elected officials–they work for you!
- Lobbying should be done strategically.
- Do research in to who can and is most likely to help you.
- When you approach a politician for help with an issue, make sure you craft a strong message that is framed around a larger community issue.
- Know the latest details of the issue–make sure you know the politician’s voting record, and any other details that will affect the issue.
- When you contact a politician in writing–if you need a response be sure to say so, and give a specific time frame for your response.
If you found this interview helpful, join us on Wednesdays 8-9pm ET follow @SmallBizChat on Twitter.
For more tips on how start or grow your small business subscribe to Melinda Emerson’s blog www.succeedasyourownboss.com
Melinda F. Emerson, known as SmallBizLady is one of America’s leading small business experts. As a seasoned entrepreneur, professional speaker, and small business coach, she develops audio, video and written content to fulfill her mission to end small business failure. As CEO of MFE Consulting LLC, Melinda educates entrepreneurs and Fortune 500 companies on subjects including small business start-up, business development and social media marketing. She has been featured on NBC Nightly News, in Forbes, the Wall Street Journal and Black Enterprise Magazine. Melinda is also the author of the national bestseller Become Your Own Boss in 12 months; A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business That Works. (Adams Media 2010)